Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Goodbye Kentucky..... Or not?


Who knew a month could fly by so quickly? I sure didn't. It feel like I had just gotten to Kentucky when I was packing up my car to drive home. First and foremost, when you have a head cold, driving 11 hours is probably not the best idea.... however, when you have a head cold, you just you want to sleep in your own bed. Let me rewind a little bit.... 

We finished up our last week of work. It was interesting to see patients that I had seen the first week that I was there who came back and remembered me. I think that is one of my favorite parts of medicine. Seeing patients on a constant basis and seeing how their lives change and evolve and realizing that you can be a huge part of that. You can touch so many lives just by being someone to listen and give support. You learn to follow their stories and eventually become friends with some. It's a remarkable thing. Now I better move on before I run the risk of sounding sappy..... 

Dr. Zook, Susan, and Sam were getting ready to leave for Gulf Shores, Alabama for vacation so I would be staying in their house alone for the night. The original plan was to meet Susan and Sam back at the house and then they would leave from there. However.... things aren't always the way you plan them. Susan ended up getting out of class early so she packed her truck and drove to meet us at work. Saying goodbye to Dr. Zook and her family is always hard for me... They truly have become like my second family and support system. I'm not gonna lie when I tell you that I shed a tear or two on the way home... which makes this next part even more ridiculous. 

They were taking Dr. Zook's Ford Edge to Alabama so I was blessed with the responsibility of driving Susan's truck home. Let me tell you this is a big ass truck. Not that I know much about trucks, but it was so big that you had to step on the side of it just to get into it! Did I mention I was wearing a Polka-dotted skirt with a pink top on this particular day? Obviously it looked like I was supposed to be driving this truck..... Also, did I mention that it was storming? 

After receiving several stares from men driving much smaller trucks then mine on my drive home, I came home to an empty house with no electricity. Luckily the electric came back on fairly quickly and I was able to watch some television. All of sudden I heard someone open the door and began to panic. I quickly got up and tried to be quiet and walked to the kitchen. It was Charlotte, Dr. Zook's house keeper/house sitter. She came to check on the dogs. She's very sweet. I was feeling rather sick so I decided to go to bed. The downside of being a doctor is that when you first start, you are exposed to so many illnesses that you haven't had so you're sick all the time. Luckily this was the first time I had gotten sick since being in Kentucky. 

I woke up the next morning and was scheduled to go to a Yoga healing class that emphasized relaxation before heading home. I got in my car and drove to a gas station to purchase a bottle of water. When I came back out and got in my car, the engine light was on and it was almost as if I had exchanged my cherry red for escape named Lucy for an El Camino on hydraulics. It was bouncing up and down so much I could have fit right in driving through Baltimore City. I knew there was an Advanced Auto Parts right around the corner so I braved the drive there. 

When I got there, I walked into the store crying and asked for help. Watching three socially awkward mechanics trying to soothe a 21 year old girl who is balling her eyes out must have been pretty amusing for those around us but at the time I was a wreck. Turns out that three of my engine coils were pretty much dead which meant that my car wasn't drivable. I texted Dr. Zook to tell her what happened and before I knew it, my Kentucky family sprung into action. 

Susan got on the phone with me and tried to make me laugh at the situation even though I was still in moderate hysterics. Dr. Zook then came on and said, "Everything will be okay, Grasshopper." The next thing I know Dr. Zook's Dad, Frank, was coming to my rescue. We drove over to a garage and told them the story. I called triple A and had them tow my car. After coming back four hours later and paying 700 dollars, I had my car back but it was too dark to begin the drive home. Charlotte and I watched Sex and the City 2, which I find funny because she watched it the night before and insisted we watch it again. 

The next morning I got up and began the trek home. Although my initial plan was to stop in Morgantown and spend the night with friends, I just wanted to get all the way home. I wanted my own bed and to see my dog. Was that so much to ask? 

The drive was beautiful and when I made it home I was finally able to breathe. The last few days it has been difficult not getting up and going to work. I find myself searching medical terms online and wanting to increase my knowledge. The search for medical schools is on and I am happy with my current decision. I have a long road ahead of me but with the encouragement of both my families and my friends to support me, I know I can do it. 

Until Next Time,

~Wacko Jacko~ 

Ps. Another blog may be coming soon entitled something else. If you all want to keep reading about my life, let me know and I'll continue writing. I mainly do it for myself but if you enjoy it I'd be more then happy to share it with all of you! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you definitely had a rough couple of days! Glad you got it all worked out and made it home safely! I would love to continue reading about your life :)

    ReplyDelete