Monday, July 16, 2012

The beginning of the end...

Sam Time

Dear World,

Today I went to karate and swimming. I went to camp and took apart a VCR. It was cool.

*End of Sam Time*

The past few days have been an absolute whirlwind. I mean this in the "wow that went really fast and was really awesome" way not the "filled with death and destruction of people's livelihood" way. I got to see patients again on Friday which was really a nice change of pace from the primarily research based week that I had. We saw one patient that was particularly interesting on Friday.

Patient 90 is a female in her mid thirties or potentially early forties. She came in with severe pain in both feet with predominant sores. This has taught me that I never want to be a dermatologist because quite frankly.... it was nasty. Not just nasty but, as Ru Paul would say, there was some leprosy realness and I needed to just sashay away. (Shout out to any fans of dragrace!) The welts that she had all over both of her feet were blister-like and filled with yellow-green pus that would occasionally ooze (need I mention why I don't want to be a dermatologist? I went through puberty once, I don't need to see it again on my patient's feet). It was one of those things, kind of like a car accident, where you look at it and you know it's bad.... but you can't look away... The foot was tender to the touch as well as when any type of weight was placed on it. Although Dr. Zook now has a pretty decent idea of what it is after some lab tests, she's still trying to figure it out and find the best possible treatment. Needless to say, there will be more to come on patient 90. Friday went by fairly quickly because we had quite a few patients.

Like I may have mentioned before, this is my third time coming down to work with Dr. Zook. In all this time, Dr. Zook and Susan have never met or spoken to my parents. Finally, my parents wanted to see who these wonderful people were that I talk about all the time. They decided to come down this weekend and the visit couldn't have come at a better time. I have a very close relationship with my parents. They have come to every event that I have ever been a part of since I was born. I love and respect them both so much I don't know what I'd do without them (Love you Mom and Dad). Although some of you may think that this is cheesy and think it is unheard of that I have this great relationship with them, it's very true. With all this being said, I was starting to get very homesick last week. I decided to stay at the hotel with my parents and we had an absolutely fabulous weekend.

Friday night we mainly just hung out at the hotel and caught up with each other. They gave me the latest scoop on Harold (my four legged white fuzzy ball of love) and how his knew habit is to shove the covers on the couch into the couch in order to conceal his bones. We've had him for a little over four years and he still thinks he's not going to get fed.... I suppose that's what living on the streets does to a dog. I'm going to create an MTV reality series surrounding him called "Harold's Thug Life". It will be glorious... premiere to come soon.

On Saturday we woke up early and went to Maker's Mark Distillery. Maker's Mark is my absolute favorite bourbon. The only issue with this is that Maker's Mark is in the middle of Kentucky countryside nowhere. As many of you can probably imagine if you know me, my family is quite dysfunctional. I mean this in the most affectionate way possible. So what happens when you put three dysfunctional family members in a small SUV with an outdated GPS that does not have ANY of the current maps in its system? Chaos. Sheer chaos.

We finally got to Maker's Mark and had a really wonderful time. I got to taste the mash bill as it was fermenting and got to hand dip my own bottle of Maker's 46 in their signature red wax. After that, instead of heading back the way we came, my father wanted to go towards the highway in order to "save time". Little did he know that this would actually add another half an hour onto our trip. We eventually ended up driving through Lexington. We attempted to get onto an express way entitled "Circle 4". My father did not understand at the time that this was, indeed, a circle. It was a concept that we were still trying to figure out through the rest of the weekend (love you, Dad!).

Later that night, we meet up with Dr. Zook and Susan for dinner at the Boone Tavern. I was a little nervous at first seeing as it was the first time my Kentucky family was meeting my Baltimore family. We had an absolutely lovely dinner and ended up sitting and talking for three hours. I couldn't have been happier with the way that it went. The next day we hung out around Lexington and went to Wild Turkey Distillery.

Saying goodbye to my parents was difficult but I know that I'm going to see them on Saturday. I cannot believe how fast that this month as flown by and I have learned so much. More to come this week on my final meeting with patients!

Until Next Time,
~Wacko Jacko~

No comments:

Post a Comment